Thursday, May 10, 2012

Best Wishes Everyone!

Congratulations to the graduating class of Spring 2012!

If you aren't graduating well than it's summer and your time will come. I wanted my last post on this bog to be mainly personal. I will not reference to any outside sources or credible authors just me, myself and I.

I came to CSUMB in Fall of 2008 almost fours years ago! I was originally suppose to be part of the graduating class of Spring 2012 but unfortunately things didn't work out the way I wanted. I had a plan and we all know when plans don't go accordingly, we have to come up with a plan b. As a child many of us remember that infamous question, "Do you know what you want to be when you grow up?" There were numerous times I was asked this question and by multiple people. One thing is for sure my answer was always was the same, "I want to be a teacher!" That was always my answer ever since I was around five years-old.

In high school, I continue pursuing this goal and declared myself as a Liberal Studies major for all the colleges I applied to. Once I got to to college things changed. I took a few Liberal Studies and it was great. The professors were great, always kind and friendly but I felt I wasn't being challenged. I felt something was missing. I began questioning myself, questioning my passion. Why did I really want to become a teacher? Teachers are great don't get me wrong but I felt I had potential to do other great things instead. I wanted to become a teacher because they were there when I needed them the most. Some of the most influential people in my life have been teachers and I felt I could be a role model to students just like some teacher were mine. I've always been a humanitarian at heart and decided to look into social work my second year of college. I learned more about the Collaborative Health and Human Services major and it just seemed like a great matched for me. I really wanted to do more then just teach I wanted to serve my community in a way not many people can. Social workers just like teachers are underpaid, I feel they do so much and aren't rewarded financially as much as other professions, yet the reward they get from knowing they made a difference in someone's life is sufficient.

I ended up changing my major by the end of my second year in college. I decided to do a dual concentration in social work and community health to be more diverse and along with that I began considering a minor. That's where this class comes into place. I'm taking this course to fulfill one of the outcomes for the Pre-Law minor. When I was an Intern at Monterey County Department of Social & Employment Services at the Court Unit I did a lot of networking. One of the attorney's offered me an internship but at the time I just didn't have enough time to agree to it. He was a family attorney, and that made me discover the potential to combine the social services field with the law.

I am so thankful to have decided to add this minor. All my HCOM professors have really taught me some great stuff! My HCOM peers have been kind and welcoming of me as CHHS major. I am only a semester away from graduating! I would just like to wish everyone to have a great summer! We all deserve some peace and whatever the future hold for you, I truly wish you the best of luck!

1 comment:

  1. As always, its been wonderful having you in one of my classes. And thanks for such a great, informative and thoughtful blog.

    ReplyDelete