Thursday, May 3, 2012

National Foster Care Month

I came across this National Foster Care Month short article through the U.S Department of Health and Human Service (USDHHS). I wanted to bring this topic up because, well I just think more people should be informed about it. As an aspiring social worker, my thoughts on this may be somewhat bias, but personally going "through the system" also brings more of a personal perspective to this issue.

According to the U.S Department of Health & Human Services, "National Foster Care Month is a time to renew our commitment to ensuring a bright future for the more than 400,000 children and youth in foster care and celebrate all those who make a meaningful difference in their lives. This year's focus, Achieving Well-Being With Children and Youth in Care, provides resources to support child welfare professionals as they seek to build well-being postpermanency; with transitioning youth; through support in sibling connections; through support in school & community; and through trauma-informed child welfare systems." To fulfill this purpose, USDHHS encourages the following:
  •     Access resources about achieving well-being with children and youth in care
  •     Gain perspective and be inspired by Real-Life Stories
  •     Spread the word with our widgets, sample emails, and social media messages
This is a topic that is dear and near to my heart which is why I would like to share with you this video of someone sharing their story. You may note that in this case this individual had a successful intervention from the foster care system, yet the website also shares some stories of people who have struggled with the system. I have seen this happen as an intern for social services. Learning about this makes me consider in the future adopting a child. I had a rough childhood and if I had the resources and my partner would share the same thoughts on this, adoption would be something to consider. Even if I don't adopt, I would like to somewhat contribute to helping youth in foster care. There are flaws to the system such as, providing enough resources and support when a foster child becomes an adult, assessing the competence of foster parents, and separation between siblings.

For example, unfortunately by the time the children become legal adults and turn 18 or 21 they are on their own. Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago states, "The transition to adulthood has become a more ambiguous and complex period for all youth, yet it may be particularly difficult for youth aging out of the child welfare system. Whereas many youth move gradually toward independent adulthood, foster youth “aging out” of care lose the support of the child welfare system when they reach a particular age of majority, during a period when they may be particularly at risk for engagement in crime". I feel that the child welfare is taking a step in the right direction by doing research to access the effectiveness of the current foster care system.




4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I didn't realize it was Foster Care Month, but I am glad to know that it exists. I have never been a foster child, but I did come from a home that wasn't complete and it can be a rough life. I agree that there needs to be more done to help the children through this part of their life, especially when they are becoming an adult and are going to be living on their own. They probably don't have a family member that will help them out financially and emotionally when they do live on their own, and I think more could be done to help these children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is exactly what is going on. Even though they are legally adults, they don't acquire the skills necessary to make it out on their own which is why some programs are being implemented to teach these individuals very important life skills. However, I would agree with you and say that emotional support can really make a difference.

      Delete
  2. I think you raise some very key elements regarding this issue. I would hope most people would have to agree with you and the impact of the system, but conservative institutions and perspectives are what keep the injustices in place. For the most part, I too would like to experience a society that takes into consideration the social issues which can benefit society instead of hindering it. Majoring in Human Communications allows me to contemplate on different scenarios and I have come to the conclusion that equity needs to be put into action, not just talked about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right! It makes me sad to see that we have a large population of undeserved youth amongst our communities and little is being done by the government to help. It it such an important issue that has been around for so long and will most likely continue to exist. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

      Delete